The New Theatre Cardiff’s annual pantomime has been cancelled following today’s announcement from the First Minister.
All performances of Aladdin from 26 December 2021 have been cancelled.
This year’s pantomime was due to be at the New Theatre Cardiff until Sunday, 2 January 2022.
Earlier today, the First Minister for Wales, Mark Drakeford announced new measures from 6am on Boxing Day to help keep Wales safe.
The measures are a revised version of alert level two to respond to the new omicron variant and are designed to help keep businesses open and trading and protect customers and staff. However, the rule of 6 and 2m distancing has seen a number of theatres close their productions early.
While our venue was closed, we worked hard to reschedule as many events as possible. Since we have reopened some other future events may also be impacted. This page lists affected events and their current status, including the options that are available to ticket holders.
A statement released by the New Theatre this afternoon said:
“Due to the change in legislation announced by Welsh Government on Wed 22 Dec 2021, we are sad to say that all performances of Aladdin from 26 December 2021 onwards have been cancelled.
“We will be in contact with ticket holders directly to inform them of their option. If we have an email address on record we will contact you on that email (please also check spam/junk folders), if not we will be in touch by telephone in the coming days.
“As you can imagine, the team here at the New Theatre are incredibly busy dealing with this situation so please do not contact us in relation to the cancellation – we will contact you with all of the information you need.
“Thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a good Christmas.”
- And Then There Were None
- Pantomime: Aladdin from 26 December 2021
- Fat Friends The Musical
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
- Two Cigarettes in the Dark
We have emailed customers about these productions (where we have your contact details and consent to email you).
We are currently processing refunds to customers who have paid by credit/debit card automatically – you don’t need to do anything.
If you paid by cash or theatre tokens, or your payment card has now expired, please contact our box office to discuss your refund options.
The current dates for these performances are shown below
- Pantomime (Aladdin) 4 – 24 December 2021
- Islands in the Stream – Sunday 23 January 2022
- A Beautiful Noise – Sunday 30 January 2022
- Rocky Horror Show – 7 – 12 February 2022
- Burn the Floor Ft Kevin Clifton – Sunday 20 February 2022 (now at 3pm)
- One Night in Dublin – Sunday 6 March 2022
- Menopause Musical 2 – 16 – 19 March 2022
- Andy Fairweather Low – Sunday 10 April 2022
- Islands In The Stream – Sunday 17th April 2022
- Mike Doyle – Rocking with Laughter … Again – 1 May 2022
- Rock of Ages – 17 – 21 May 2022
- Chicago – 20 – 25 June 2022
- The Da Vinci Code – 28 June 2022 – 2 July 2022
- The Osmonds – A New Musical – 4 – 8 October 2022
- Justin Fletcher: Live The Big Tour – Sunday 16 October 2022
- Al Stewart Greatest Hits – Sunday 30 October 2022
- Mamma Mia – 14 February – 4 March 2023
For productions that have been rescheduled, you don’t need to do anything. Your tickets will be valid for the new performance dates and have emailed you details of the new date.
For week runs, your ticket will be valid for the same performance/seat. For example: if you currently hold a ticket for the Friday evening, then this will be valid for the Friday evening of the reschedule run.
Performances that have not been cancelled or rescheduled
Performances listed on the What’s On pages are all confirmed and will currently go ahead as planned. If anything changes, customers will be notified via email.